1 Peter 1:13-16
Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: 15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
The last night of our church’s revival meetings with Evangelist Jim VanGelderen brought this message. It was just what I needed!
Before we can obey the command to “Be holy as God is holy,” we have to obey the commands in verses 13-14.
- Gird up the loins of your mind: Put off the wrong thinking so that it no longer hinders me. Embrace right thinking. This is a crisis.
- Be sober: Maintain right thinking. Just as with alcohol, do not allow the inebriation of the wrong thought processes to re-invade my thinking. This is a condition. This takes place when I put the word of God in my heart.
- Memorization puts God’s Word in my brain
- Mediation puts God’s Word in my heart, as I make it second nature and use it.
- Hope is expectant reliance on God
- Godly Appearance – Clothing. Whatever is in your heart should be advertised on the outside. So don’t dress like you did when you were hell-bound. Don’t identify yourself in your clothing with pop-culture’s ideas which are anti-Biblical. This is an insult to the Gospel. Grace is not looking like the world – and loving it! Grace is not about the rules. Grace is bigger than that!
- Godly Actions – all manner of conversation. This encompasses media choices, music, etc.
- Godly Attitudes
So the process of personal holiness is this:
Reject wrong thinking
Embrace right thinking
Put God’s Word in my heart
Take steps of obedience
God graces me