Saturday, February 27, 2010

Profane not the LORD

Leviticus 18:21 “… neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.”

Leviticus 19:8  because he hath profaned the hallowed thing of the LORD:

Leviticus 19:12  And ye shall not swear by my name falsely, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 20:3  And I will set my face against that man, and will cut him off from among his people; because he hath given of his seed unto Molech, to defile my sanctuary, and to profane my holy name.

Leviticus 21:6  hey shall be holy unto their God, and not profane the name of their God: for the offerings of the LORD made by fire, and the bread of their God, they do offer: therefore they shall be holy.

Leviticus 21:12   Neither shall he go out of the sanctuary, nor profane the sanctuary of his God; for the crown of the anointing oil of his God is upon him: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 21:23  Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the LORD do sanctify them.

Leviticus 22:2   Speak unto Aaron and to his sons, that they separate themselves from the holy things of the children of Israel, and that they profane not my holy name in those things which they hallow unto me: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 22:9  They shall therefore keep mine ordinance, lest they bear sin for it, and die therefore, if they profane it: I the LORD do sanctify them.

Leviticus 22:15  And they shall not profane the holy things of the children of Israel, which they offer unto the LORD;

Leviticus 22:32  Neither shall ye profane my holy name; but I will be hallowed among the children of Israel: I am the LORD which hallow you,

ll;x' {khaw-lal'} = Meaning:  1) to profane, defile, pollute, desecrate, to treat as common

I think that God was serious when He said that we are not to profane His name or His holy things, or that which He has hallowed/sanctified.  Which makes me think…Christians are in the process of this thing we call sanctification.  It is a work of the Holy Spirit, to make us more like the image of Christ.  So if God is sanctifying me, as a person, then I am not to profane myself.  I am to walk circumspectly (Eph. 5:15) and not conform myself to the world (Rom. 12:2).  We just studied this in BSF last week from John 15.  The world will hate Christians as it hated Christ.  Why?  Because we do not belong to the world.  We are not to be like the world…even to win them to Christ.  James 1:27 states that “pure religion…[is] unspotted from the world.”  Anytime I let a little bit of the world…even just a speck of dust or a touch of dirt…profane my life as a Christian, I am hurting Christ and hurting the reputation of my God – the LORD, the self-existing one.  These are just the references to profaning the LORD.  I must be more careful – not to let a bad word, an evil or hateful thought, a selfish desire, an unkind word or action, defile and profane me as the sanctified of the Lord.  For when I am profane, then I have profaned Him as well, for I bear His name.

And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them.  24 But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I am the LORD your God, which have separated you from other people. 26  And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the LORD am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine.  (Leviticus 20:23-24,26  )

No comments: