Monday, February 1, 2010

February 1, 2010 Devotions

The Red Sea Miracle

Exodus 14:10-14  “And when Pharaoh drew nigh, the children of Israel lifted up their eyes, and, behold, the Egyptians marched after them; and they were sore afraid: and the children of Israel cried out unto the LORD.  11 And they said unto Moses, Because there were no graves in Egypt, hast thou taken us away to die in the wilderness? wherefore hast thou dealt thus with us, to carry us forth out of Egypt?  12 Is not this the word that we did tell thee in Egypt, saying, Let us alone, that we may serve the Egyptians? For it had been better for us to serve the Egyptians, than that we should die in the wilderness.  13 And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.  14 The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.”

When my circumstances seem impossible, and I cannot see the way out, when my heart is fearful and I feel alone, let me cry out to the LORD.  Only let me not cry with a complaining spirit and a heart critical of God’s design as Israel did.  Let me cry out in dependence and trust.  And let me take my hands off, let me stand still, and let God show His saving arm as He fights for me.

Exodus 14:31  And Israel saw that great work which the LORD did upon the Egyptians: and the people feared the LORD, and believed the LORD, and his servant Moses.

Exodus 15:11  Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?

Matthew 21:23-46 – The Parable of the Wicked Husbandman

The unbelief of Israel always amazes me.  I know it shouldn’t, because so many times I am unbelieving also.  But the words of Jesus here caught my attention -
vs. 37: “ But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying, They will reverence my son.”  How it must hurt the heart of God when anyone rejects Him!  But especially one of His chosen people.  He had given them the promises.  His prophets.  His words.  And last of all He sent unto them His Son, and they did not reverence Him.  They rejected Him.  Then vs. 45-46:  “And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them.  46 But when they sought to lay hands on him, they feared the multitude, because they took him for a prophet.”   In the end, they realized that Jesus was speaking of them.  That He was offering them the Kingdom, but because of their rejection He was going to take it away and offer it to the Gentiles.  Even then they hardened their hearts and rejected Him the more.  How tragic.  Do I do this in my life?  Not with salvation perhaps, but with His gifts?  His Word?  His promises?  His expectations?  His fellowship?  How many times do I reject Him, and yet expect Him to continue to offer these things? 

No comments: